Monday, March 5, 2012

Ups and Downs


I’m not going to lie I have had some trouble motivating myself to write this update. I'll keep it short and to the point. Ever since I moved to Canmore last May, I have pretty much only had good things to write about. Training and more recently racing had always been going well. I had good days and bad days but overall everything was going in a positive direction.

After trials in Whistler however, things started to change. A week after Whistler during the Western Canadians in Canmore my results were slightly below where they had been in at trials. Two weeks later at the Eastern Canadian championships my results were again slightly below were they had been out west. At the final stop of the Nor Am cuircut in Mont Orford Quebec the trend did not improve and I was again below where I had been only a week earlier. 


To be honest the final race in Orford (a 20km skate race in cold windy conditions) I was simply happy to get to the finish line. I was hurting both mentally and physically and I needed a break. This is a trend every skier is familiar with. The reality is I started the year off well, pulling off some really good races even before the first Nor Am in SilverSstar. Now I was paying the price. It can be difficult to keep motivated during this type of period, but the truth is every athlete experiences it, you can’t (especially at a young age) always be at your best.

Racing the 30km classic during the Eastern Canadian championships at Nakkertok (my home club). A fun race but not quite the results I was hoping for. 
Photo Credit: Jo-Ann Holden Musicianonskis.ca

Luckily after the last stop of the Nor Am circuit in Orford there was a long break until Nationals (the next and final set of races of the season). After Orford I spent a little over a week back home before heading back to Canmore and getting back into the normal training routine. Since then everything has been going relatively well. Yesterday I competed in the Lake Louise Loppet this was my first race in three weeks and although my 7th place overall was nothing special it was a step in the right direction. I am regaining some confidence in my fitness and I am looking forward to Nationals in Mont Saint Anne.

The start of the Lake Louise Loppet., Old school Bibs, narrow trails, temperature around zero and a mix of  former and current athletes made for an interesting day.
Photo Credit: Angus Cockney

On another note my sister Emilie competed in her first ever World Junior ski championships In Turkey last month. She raced very well with a personal best of 41st in the skiathlon and did a very good job holding of the USA on the last leg of the relay. Not bad for a 16 year old with many years ahead of her.


That’s all for now
Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment